I believe that the essence of photography is black and white. Color is but a deviance.” — Sarah Moon
We are making photographs to understand what our lives mean to us.” — Ralph Hattersley
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.” — Peter Adams
– A bunch of incredible selection techniques
– Adobe not supporting some older OS’ Take note if you are running an older Mac or Windows OS
– The August Lightroom update
– Jewish Streets
– Travel tips This is partly in support of duChemin’s new course, but the quotes, lessons and images are worth the time.
– Unconventional approaches to landscape and nature
– Hard drive file systems for Mac and Windows
– Interpreting memory cards
From Steve Oney:
– Two minute trailer on upcoming video on Gary Winogrand
– Really great series of monochrome pairs by Czech photographer Alicja Brodowicz
Skipper butterfly. Taken with 200 Nikon micro lens and diffused flash. 1/200; f/13; ISO 500.
Taken at 2018 MD State Fair. Two images taken from a tripod as the ride dropped. Composited in Photoshop.
Posted in Links and Quotes |
Tagged Adobe updates, Alicja Brodowicz, Blend-If, culture or social photography, Gary Winogrand, Landscape, Lightroom, memory cards, nature photography, Photoshop, selections, street photography |
I believe in wonder and look for it every day.” – Keith Carter
Sometimes nature seems more beautiful than strictly necessary…” — Steven Weinberg
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in greet underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the spring begins.
Swinburne (Atlanta in Calydon)
– General tips for difficult situations
– Photo Assignment Red; Color Palettes
– More on selections
– Expose for the highlights
– Willem Wersen, Street Photography
– Natural History Videography This one is a little outside what I generally include, but I have met Clay Bolt, this is an interesting story, and it was recently in the news because it is the first time a bee has been listed as endangered.
– More compositing techniques
Longwood Gardens, March 24, 2017. Aloe (Halathia) processed in NIK with Brilliance and Warmth, and Tonal Contrast.
There is one thing the photograph must contain, the humanity of the moment.” — Robert Frank
There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don’t be bitter because you can’t record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!” – DeGriff
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.” – W. Eugene Smith
– Alfred Stiegelitz
– Ethical wildlife photography
– A photographer’s guide to Iceland
– The return of film?
– 10 tips for PS selections This is pretty good. Also the first time I saw someone using “Matting” in the Layer menu or “Calculations” in the Image menu.
– Criticism of modern “art” photography From Leo Charpentier
– Photography by the alphabet – Part 4
– Retouching with the brush and color blending mode
– Water portraits in the studio This looked like fun.
– Three quick, simple lighting techniques