“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.” — Dorothea Lange
“The camera is an excuse to be someplace you otherwise don’t belong. It gives me both a point of connection and a point of separation.” — Susan Meiselas
“Well, I try my best
To be just like I am
But everybody wants you
To be just like them” — Bob Dylan (Maggie’s Farm)
– Photography as therapy
– Motion Blur
– Marc Muench: Wildlife in the landscape Marc is always worth following
– Sensor cleaning
– The stages of becoming a photographer
– New York City from a German perspective
– TSA now checking cameras as well as devices larger than a cell phone
– Use flash to control the light
– Pet photography
– A landscape photographer’s bucket list
Sunday Farmer’s Market in Baltimore right off Pleasant Street exit from I-83. Two hours free parking nearby. Huge selection of fruits, vegetables, baked goods, live plants, flowers…..
“There is one thing the photograph must contain, the humanity of the moment.” — Robert Frank
“There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don’t be bitter because you can’t record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!” – DeGriff
“Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.” – W. Eugene Smith
– Alfred Stiegelitz
– Ethical wildlife photography
– A photographer’s guide to Iceland
– The return of film?
– 10 tips for PS selections This is pretty good. Also the first time I saw someone using “Matting” in the Layer menu or “Calculations” in the Image menu.
– Criticism of modern “art” photography From Leo Charpentier
– Photography by the alphabet – Part 4
– Retouching with the brush and color blending mode
– Water portraits in the studio This looked like fun.
– Three quick, simple lighting techniques
Wondering—Past and Future
Wondering about your past, about what might have happened, about bad decisions made and roads not taken… this is a recipe for not much more than regret.
But wondering about your future?
When we wonder about the future, we get a chance to begin again, to set new goals and envision bold plans.
No more chances to do yesterday over, sorry. But infinite chances for tomorrow. — Seth Godin
Management’s job is not to prevent risk but to build the ability to recover. — Ed Catmull, Pixar
The question is not, “Should I manipulate a photograph?” Since the invention of photography, all kinds of things have been done to photographs. The question is, “What happens when I do or don’t manipulate a photograph?”
– Continuous lighting vs strobe
– Low-key portraits with a single light
– Cold weather photography tips
– 9 photography habits to quit this year I don’t necessarily agree with all of these, but they are worth considering.
Assateague Island National Seashore, New Year’s Day, 2017