Ooops. I published September 16 on September 9, but won’t change the dates because the URL uses the title and I am not sure what will happen to the posting. That’s why this is labeled “16b.” Sorry for the confusion.
[There is] “a fundamental dichotomy in contemporary photography between those who think of photography as a means of self-expression and those who think of it as a method of exploration.” — John Szarkowski
“It would not be wrong to speak of people having a compulsion to photograph: to turn experience itself into a way of seeing. Ultimately, having an experience becomes identical with taking a photograph of it, and participating in a public event comes more and more to be equivalent to looking at it in photographed form.” — Susan Sontag
“In front of the lens, I am at the same time: the one I think I am, the one I want others to think I am, the one the photographer thinks I am, and the one he makes use of to exhibit his art.” — Roland Barthes
Photoessays/Bodies of Work
– The ULTIMATE photo destination
– The photography of Margaret Bourke-White (Thank you Steve O.)
– How to create a long-exposure effect without a neutral density filter
– How to speed up LR
– Using Vanishing Point to add graphics to complex perspectives
– Photographing when it is forbidden
– Stroboscopic portraits (Thank you Steve O.) Something to try when you are stuck indoors during winter.
– How to succeed at a photographic portfolio review
– Description of Leiter’s work– Biography of Saul Leiter, a seminal color photographer 1 hour 15 minute video
– How to get gallery representation