One of the greatest barriers to creativity and to life is fear. That fear manifests itself in many ways but one of the more destructive is the perfectionism so many of us are paralyzed by.” — David DuChemin
“ – Being a photographer is making people look at what I want them to look at.“ Ruth Orkin
“ – One very important difference between color and monochromatic photography is this: in black and white you suggest; in color you state. Much can be implied by suggestion, but statement demands certainty… absolute certainty.“ Paul Outerbridge
Photo essays/Bodies of Work
– Exploration of the urban landscape With emphasis on Vietnam – Messy studio –> creativity?
– “Inverse panoramas” and x-rays – Van Der Zee and the Harlem renaissance – Very dark, moody street photography
PhotoshopTechniques – Equalize skin tones – Workflow for a difficult image – Basics of layer masks Really good 15 minute video that gives you all the basics of masks in a very straight forward way
From Steve Oney: – How to safely use smoke bombs – “Other worldly” images from White Sands, NM
Team effort on the Pride of Baltimore.
Neatly coiled rope on the Pride of Baltimore.
“ — The unconscious obsession that we photographers have is that wherever we go we want to find the theme that we carry inside ourselves.“ Graciela Iturbide
“ — The hardest thing in photography is to create a simple image.“ Anne Geddes
“ – Photography, as we all know, is not real at all. It is an illusion of reality with which we create our own private world.“ Arnold Newman
– Where the magenta tint on your prints comes from This is a common problem with Epson printers. This is very helpful.
– Adjust skin tones with one button
– Dora Maar, muse of Picasso and surrealist photographer
– Color Range Masking in LR and ACR 15 minute video
– Graciela Iturbide, great Mexican photographer
– Complete landscape edit, start to finish Helpful 20 minute video.
– Visual storytelling winners
– How to add snow to your photograph
– Multi-shot techniques
From Steve Oney:
– Basics of Astrophotography
Reaching back to my artist residency at Petrified Forest National Park. I chose this one because I like the orange/blue color palette.
Such a strange and wondrous landscape. Also from Petrified Forest NP. This was taken from the rim trail right behind the Painted Desert Inn.
Petroglyphs at Puerco Pueblo, also at PetrifiedForest.
Posted in Links and Quotes |
Tagged astrophotography, Dora Maar, Graciela Iturbide, HDR, Landscape, Luminosity masks, masks, panoramas, portraits, printing, skin tones, surrealism |
Art Is Not About Understanding. Or Mastery. It is about doing and experience.” — Jerry Saltz
Hide secrets in your work.” — Jerry Saltz
Never just say, “You tell me what it is.” That’s pompous bullshit. When it comes to your work, you’re the best authority there is.” — Jerry Saltz
– How to be an artist Article by Jerry Saltz. Anyone who feels reluctant to go their own way or share what they have done should read this article. Anyone who is in a rut should also read this.
– Fix skin tones in one minute
– Lightroom brush tip
– A project on ancestry that also reveals a simple way of life Photo essay about a Russian woman’s roots in a small hunting village in the Russian taiga.
– Svetlana: A very special place where people with disabilities are just part of the community.
– Photographing birds in flight
– Putting texture in text
– Portrait lighting with LEDs
– How photography helps an autistic 5 year old understand the world
Still feeling a bit nostaligic about my time out west during and between artist residencies. Pueblo ruins from the Antelope Canyon overlook.
This is the Long House Pueblo at Mesa Verde.
Posted in Links and Quotes |
Tagged adjustment brush, Art, autism, birds, Creativity, culture or social photography, LEDs, lighting, Lightroom, nature photography, panoramas, Photo essay, Photoshop, portrait, selective color, skin tones, wildlife |