“We’re all capable of huge leaps of insight and empathy if we’re willing to go to work to learn how.” — Seth Godin on September 10, 2017
“Don’t shoot the nouns . . . Shoot the adjectives.” — Arthur Ransome
“The photograph is secondary to the experience.” — Arthur Ransome
– Using Lab color
– Helpful one minute tip on how to be sure you know where your photos are in LR
– Super weird 2X macro lens
– Cheap super macro set up
– sRGB vs Adobe RGB I don’t agree with the conclusion, but he explains color space reasonably well.
From Steve Oney: – 40 camera hacks
– Finalists Wildlife Photographer of the Year
– Canyon Country
– Good ideas for fall foliage
Iris leaves, backlit.
“When we look at our photographs and find not the slightest reflection of ourselves, it is a good sign that our images have lost their souls.” — David duChemin in “The Soul of the Camera”
“Creativity is about two things: the way we think, and the way we turn those thoughts into reality.” — David duChemin in “The Soul of the Camera”
“The more curious we are, the more creative we become.” — David duChemin in “The Soul of the Camera”
– An analysis of Bresson’s composition technique Includes 25 minutes of video
– Think outside the box
– Photo assignment on negative space Some images are really good; worth watching the slideshow.
– Easily cut out trees in photoshop
– Rainy day images
– Photographing eagles in the Adirondacks
– Create a mist in photoshop
– Making compelling images
– Best eclipse pictures
– How to assemble an eclipse sequence
Single image HDR of Turtlehead flower.
“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.” — Dorothea Lange
“The camera is an excuse to be someplace you otherwise don’t belong. It gives me both a point of connection and a point of separation.” — Susan Meiselas
“Well, I try my best
To be just like I am
But everybody wants you
To be just like them” — Bob Dylan (Maggie’s Farm)
– Photography as therapy
– Motion Blur
– Marc Muench: Wildlife in the landscape Marc is always worth following
– Sensor cleaning
– The stages of becoming a photographer
– New York City from a German perspective
– TSA now checking cameras as well as devices larger than a cell phone
– Use flash to control the light
– Pet photography
– A landscape photographer’s bucket list
Sunday Farmer’s Market in Baltimore right off Pleasant Street exit from I-83. Two hours free parking nearby. Huge selection of fruits, vegetables, baked goods, live plants, flowers…..
“Creativity is always enhanced by a constraint. This is true in filmmaking, music, painting, writing and even photography.”
“Comfort is where art goes to die.”
“The best critiques I’ve seen are not about the image’s technical properties. The best critiques question why the photograph was created in the first place.”
— CJ Chilvers in A Lesser Photographer
– Therapeutic photography
– Photography and mental health
– Street photography This is an hour long video with Steve Simon on street photography. Worth the time.
– Interesting one light set up for portraits
– Printing your work can make you a better photographer
– Blending modes to control luminosity, hue and saturation
– Oregon Photo Odyssey
– A 12 week project photographing an eagle’s nest
– 7 Nikon tricks Nikon menu options for focusing you probably didn’t know were there
– Difficult removals in photoshop This is pretty good and is applicable to many different images
A young woman fiddling for a charitable cause. Baltimore Farmer’s Market, 4/23/17.
“There is one thing the photograph must contain, the humanity of the moment.” — Robert Frank
“There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don’t be bitter because you can’t record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!” – DeGriff
“Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.” – W. Eugene Smith
– Alfred Stiegelitz
– Ethical wildlife photography
– A photographer’s guide to Iceland
– The return of film?
– 10 tips for PS selections This is pretty good. Also the first time I saw someone using “Matting” in the Layer menu or “Calculations” in the Image menu.
– Criticism of modern “art” photography From Leo Charpentier
– Photography by the alphabet – Part 4
– Retouching with the brush and color blending mode
– Water portraits in the studio This looked like fun.
– Three quick, simple lighting techniques