“Photographers should follow their own judgment, and not the fads and dictates of others.” – Bill Brandt
“And only the photographer himself knows the effect he wants. He should know by instinct, grounded in experience, what subjects are enhanced by hard or soft, light or dark treatment.” – Bill Brandt
“I consider it essential that the photographer should do his own printing and enlarging. The final effect of the finished print depends so much on these operations.” – Bill Brandt
– Addiction photography
– Young Love
– Extracting liquid glass and smoke in Photoshop
– Sky replacement in Photoshop Shows lots of tools, including getting rid of the bright halos around selections.
– Photographing mountain hares in Scotland in winter Not for me, but still interesting.
– Capturing mist and fog
– Ralph Gibson
– Chromatic compositions
– The decisive moment: some really neat street photos
-Two houseboats converted to floating studios, touring Europe
On the Beach, part of a portfolio I have been working on for a couple of years.
Posted in Links and Quotes |
Tagged Bill Brandt, color, color theory, culture or social photography, decisive moment, extract, fog, mist, nature photography, Photoshop, Ralph Gibson, Scotland, sky replacement, street photography, wildlife, winter |
It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.” – Charles Darwin
Your opinion is your opinion, your perception is your perception–do not confuse them with “facts” or “truth”. Wars have been fought and millions have been killed because of the inability of men to understand the idea that EVERYBODY has a different viewpoint.” – John Moore
Don’t cheat the world of your contribution. Give it what you’ve got.” – Steven Pressfield
Links – Dealing with the airline laptop restrictions
– Photography on skid row If you are in to street photography, this is about as gritty as it gets.
– Fantastical wildlife This is a new approach to wildlife photography
– 7 great tips on the ps interface
– Color Theory
– Getting published in magazines
– The Art of Art Wolfe
– Lightroom best practices
– Does ETTR apply to night photography?
– The value of Critique
June beetle taken at BugShot Delaware held at the St. Jones Reserve and Ted Harvey Beach using the white box.
Posted in Links and Quotes |
Tagged abstract, Art Wolfe, color theory, composites, critique, Lightroom, night photography, Photoshop, street photography, surrealism, travel |
I believe in wonder and look for it every day.” – Keith Carter
Sometimes nature seems more beautiful than strictly necessary…” — Steven Weinberg
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in greet underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the spring begins.
Swinburne (Atlanta in Calydon)
– General tips for difficult situations
– Photo Assignment Red; Color Palettes
– More on selections
– Expose for the highlights
– Willem Wersen, Street Photography
– Natural History Videography This one is a little outside what I generally include, but I have met Clay Bolt, this is an interesting story, and it was recently in the news because it is the first time a bee has been listed as endangered.
– More compositing techniques
Longwood Gardens, March 24, 2017. Aloe (Halathia) processed in NIK with Brilliance and Warmth, and Tonal Contrast.
We are only trying to tell a story. Let the 17th-century painters worry about the effects. We’ve got to tell it now, let the news in, show the hungry face, the broken land, anything so that those who are comfortable may be moved a little.” — David Seymour (Chim); David Seymour will be the subject of Tom Beck’s presentation on March 9
Anyone can shoot chaos. But the most perceptive photographers can make compelling pictures out of uninteresting moments.” – Alex Tehrani
We are making photographs to understand what our lives mean to us.” — Ralph Hattersley
– Developing a Portfolio
– Best presentation on color I have seen
– Psychology of color – Using adjustments on a Smart Object preserves future editing Pretty cool – I didn’t know you could do this.
– Quick sky adjustments in LR
– Beating the Creative Rut
– DIY light tent for close-ups and products
– Adding stars to a night sky
– Medium Format Landscape Photography
Ma’kayla Hall; taken at Graffiti Warehouse 2/11/17