…I don’t pretend to relate, which is why I turn to art to learn things I don’t understand. — Jonathan Blaustein on Apr 14, 2017, Photofolio
“Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph.” – Matt Hardy
“Diane [Arbus] is no longer pretending to photograph life uninterrupted. These people are aware that they’re being photographed, and the images are more loaded for it. Here I am, their faces seem to say, so what do you need to know?” — Alex Mar
– The impact of scratches on your lens
– Depth of field and macro photography
– What makes an experienced photographer?
– How to change the background color in photoshop
– Ideas for traveling lighter
– Quality of light
– Titling your work
– Robert Glenn Ketchum’s great conservation work The mine proposal was really horrific when you see what an incredible natural area it is.
– Photo composites
– Plan a road trip
Tulip stem and petals. Sherwood Gardens, Baltimore. 200 mm micro lens, f/16, 1/100, ISO 400, EV +1, diffuser.
“I often think of my work as visual haiku. It is an attempt to evoke and suggest through as few elements as possible rather than to describe with tremendous detail.” – Michael Kenna
“Photography’s great difficulty lies in the necessary coincidence of the sitter’s revealment, the photographer’s realization, the camera’s readiness. But when these elements do coincide . . . when the perfect spontaneous union is consummated. . . the very bones of life are bared. — Edward Weston
“Great photography is always on the edge of failure.” – Garry Winogrand
– Moving around in Photoshop
– Graduated and radial filters in LR
– Creating a home studio
– Lighting for the home studio
– Data management and workflow
– The story behind Dorothea Lange’s “Migrant Mother”
– How to photography meteor showers
– Conceptual Photography Another assignment from the Art of Photography
– Adding textures in photoshop
– Abstract landscape photography
– Removing logos in PS This is applicable to a lot more than just removing logos. Includes spot healing, clone stamp, content aware, selections, brush and dropper tools.
Model, April 2017 Grafitti Warehouse
“Self-doubt kills talent.” – Edie McClurg
“Confidence is the most important single factor in this game, and no matter how great your natural talent, there is only one way to obtain and sustain it: work.” – Jack Nicklaus
“Art is what you can get away with.” — Andy Warhol
– Adventure photographer Chris Burkard
– Hated and Loved Fonts Not directly photography, but I know use fonts in documents with photographs as well as for my watermark.
– Good primer on mat board
– Water photography
– Street Photography
– How to recover shadows and highlights
– Making dramatic images
– Wide angle lenses for landscapes Explains a lot about lenses and includes prices.
– Climate change and equatorial mountain glaciers Really interesting story.
– 5 steps to make your subject pop
Agave leaf. Longwood Gardens.
“It’s tempting to diversify, particularly when it comes to what you offer the world. …
More breadth, though, doesn’t cause change, and it won’t get you noticed.
Focus works. A sharp edge cuts through the clutter.” — Posted by Seth Godin on March 25, 2017
“If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” – Colin Powell
“You learn to see by practice. It’s just like playing tennis, you get better the more you play. The more you look around at things, the more you see. The more you photograph, the more you realize what can be photographed and what can’t be photographed. You just have to keep doing it.” – Eliot Porter
– Using Dehaze in LR and PS
– Julianne Kost in Antarctica A bit of advertisement, but also good tips on preparing for a major photo trip.
– Beating the creative rut A topic near and dear to my heart.
– Part 5 of Photo tips by the alphabet
– Richard Avedon From Steve Oney
– NY Street Photography Video and numerous images
– George Lepp tips
– Good story on photographing the great gray owl
– Rights and Risks of street photography
– New Zealand! Wow!
Blue poppy bud, taken at Longwood Gardens in PA, Mar. 24, 2017. Second place in camera club competition on 3/30.