Paint the spirit of the bird in flight, not its feathers.” — Robert Henri
I always say that photography’s closest cousin is poetry because of the way it sparks your imagination and leaves gaps for the viewer to fill in.” — Alec Soth
The people that I photographed allowed me to photograph them because they didn’t want to be alone, and the truth is I didn’t want to be alone making the pictures.” — Alec Soth
– The Appeal of black and white photography
– 5 Cool films (Film??!!)
– Some simple composition tips
– Life cycles approach to nature photography: Part I
– Part 2
– Photojournalism: Portraits in the Field Long video
– 3 Macs vs PC comparison iMacPro, MacPro, MacBook, Alienware
– Photographing a LUNAR eclipse
– 12 East Coast locations
– Alec Soth’s “Sleeping by the Mississippi – 13 years later
New Feature: Portfolios
On occasion, I will include websites or portfolios of photographers whose work I find interesting.
Taken at the “Cascade” in the Avalon section of Patapsco State Park.
Posted in Links and Quotes |
Tagged Alec Soth, BW, Composition, east coast, eclipse, Ellie Ivanova, film, Links and Quotes, location, monochome, PC vs Mac, photojournalism, Portfolio, portraits, wildlife |
In large measure becoming an artist consists of learning to accept yourself, which makes your work personal, and in following your own voice, which makes your work distinctive.” — David Bayles and Ted Orland in Art & Fear
I have reached the point where the craft is sufficient to the purpose, or at least attainable, but the purpose to which I will apply that craft is proving more elusive.” — Richard Eskin
Photography can light up darkness and expose ignorance.” – Lewis Hine
– We have probably all felt this way at some time
– Photographing wildlife at rescue shelters
– Make it not take it!
– Best solar eclipse images
– Proper behavior around wildlife
– 2017 MacArthur Award winning photographer Dawoud Bey
URLs courtesy of Steve Oney
– Nikon Small World winners Some of these images are amazing.
– Monochrome images of national parks Some of these are quite good and some are taken with the Leica M Monchrom camera that is only BW.
– 50 great BW photographs A good way to take better photographs is to look at good photographs. Also links to previous lists. How many names do you recognize?
– Processing a Faroe Island image Learn something about BW from Cole Thompson.
Images from my recent workshop on #Dewees Island, SC with National Geographic Photographer Peter Essick.
When we look at our photographs and find not the slightest reflection of ourselves, it is a good sign that our images have lost their souls.” — David duChemin in “The Soul of the Camera”
Creativity is about two things: the way we think, and the way we turn those thoughts into reality.” — David duChemin in “The Soul of the Camera”
“The more curious we are, the more creative we become.” —
David duChemin in “The Soul of the Camera”
– An analysis of Bresson’s composition technique Includes 25 minutes of video
– Think outside the box
– Photo assignment on negative space Some images are really good; worth watching the slideshow.
– Easily cut out trees in photoshop
– Rainy day images
– Photographing eagles in the Adirondacks
– Create a mist in photoshop
– Making compelling images
– Best eclipse pictures
– How to assemble an eclipse sequence
Single image HDR of Turtlehead flower.