“I want parameters narrow enough to make the work compelling and cohesive, but broad enough to allow myself, and my viewer, the pleasure of being able to find their own way through the work.” — Gregory Halpern in PhotoWork: Forty Photographers on Process and Practice
“There are some locations I go to and they scream black and white to me because of the ambiance. For me, great black and white images fall into two categories: very dramatic with stormy skies and bold compositions and at the other end of the spectrum a calm and minimalist composition.” – Helen Rushton
“Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.” – Harriet Braiker
Photoessays/Bodies of Work
– People matching art works
– Photojournalism’s most powerful moments of 2019
– Photographing the white horses of the Camargue
– Advanced color toning
– Six sneaky ways to adjust color in PS
– Black and White Artistry, Part I
– Black and White Artistry, Part II
– Fun winter projects
– Do the colors in your image seem to change on export? Here’s why.
– Conceptualizing New Projects
For the last several weeks I have been experimenting with adding washes of complimentary colors to images using techiques such as split toning, gradient maps, color balance adjustment layers and others. These images were taken on a foggy morning and were virtually monochromatic before processing. I feel that the colors make for more interesting images, but I am also partially color blind, so I tend to overdo colors that I probably don’t see as intensely as others. Would appreciate getting feedback.
“Creativity isn’t about wild talent as much as it’s about productivity. To find new ideas that work, you need to try a lot that don’t. It’s a pure numbers game.” — Robert Sutton
“I found I could say things with colors that I couldn’t say in any other way – things that I had no words for.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
“Art does not reproduce the visible; rather, it makes visible.” – Paul Klee
– Creative flower photography
– Are photography trade shows worth it?
– Lightroom’s tone curve
– Photographing textures
– How to create a surreal photo collage Includes several brief tutorials on different aspects of compositing
– How to create a dramatic sky in photoshop Shows how to use Blend-If
– The Art of Photography: images from Assignment 3
– Flash diffusers
– Mt. Assiniboine – The story of the picture
– Photography by the letters
From Steve Oney: – Portfolio review video with James Estrin of the times of Kristin Adair’s project related to incarceration This gives good insight into creating a body of work for those who generally shoot without specific intent.
– Inspirational BW photo
Beach Walker, Cape Cod, 2013