Creativity works best when we have constraints.” — David duChemin (Have Camera Will Travel video)
Fear is the single greatest obstacle in our creative lives. … The magic happens… in the unexpected.” — David duChemin
It will be about the feel and emotion. You need to take those adjectives and translate them…onto your image.” — Claire Rosen, Imaginarium
– Capturing east LA
– Great explanation of Photoshop blending modes by Julianne Kost who always gives great explanations. Very complete and includes two free videos, links to 4 more videos and a list of keyboard short cuts.
– A bit more on blend modes
– Ultra-wide angle lenses
– On the road with a film photographer
– Refine any mask with a brush
– Basic guide to taking long exposure images
– Big Sur So many wonderful images and stories came of Big Sur from Adams, Weston and others. Truly a magical place.
From Steve Oney:
– Range masking in LR
– Lynn Davis, portrait photographer
Spent a little time at the Fair last evening with some friends. My arteries clogged and acne returned as I walked past this booth.
Just for the color.
Paint the spirit of the bird in flight, not its feathers.” — Robert Henri
I always say that photography’s closest cousin is poetry because of the way it sparks your imagination and leaves gaps for the viewer to fill in.” — Alec Soth
The people that I photographed allowed me to photograph them because they didn’t want to be alone, and the truth is I didn’t want to be alone making the pictures.” — Alec Soth
– The Appeal of black and white photography
– 5 Cool films (Film??!!)
– Some simple composition tips
– Life cycles approach to nature photography: Part I
– Part 2
– Photojournalism: Portraits in the Field Long video
– 3 Macs vs PC comparison iMacPro, MacPro, MacBook, Alienware
– Photographing a LUNAR eclipse
– 12 East Coast locations
– Alec Soth’s “Sleeping by the Mississippi – 13 years later
New Feature: Portfolios
On occasion, I will include websites or portfolios of photographers whose work I find interesting.
Taken at the “Cascade” in the Avalon section of Patapsco State Park.
Posted in Links and Quotes, Portfolio |
Tagged Alec Soth, BW, Composition, east coast, eclipse, Ellie Ivanova, film, location, monochome, PC vs Mac, photojournalism, portraits, wildlife |
There is one thing the photograph must contain, the humanity of the moment.” — Robert Frank
There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don’t be bitter because you can’t record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!” – DeGriff
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.” – W. Eugene Smith
– Alfred Stiegelitz
– Ethical wildlife photography
– A photographer’s guide to Iceland
– The return of film?
– 10 tips for PS selections This is pretty good. Also the first time I saw someone using “Matting” in the Layer menu or “Calculations” in the Image menu.
– Criticism of modern “art” photography From Leo Charpentier
– Photography by the alphabet – Part 4
– Retouching with the brush and color blending mode
– Water portraits in the studio This looked like fun.
– Three quick, simple lighting techniques